Thursday, March 14, 2013

Waianae

Kuilioloa Heiau at Pokai Bay. I remember coming here as a child with my father. Once he swam out to the boats with my sister and I holding on to his shoulders. I didn't even know how to swim well yet but I felt more than secure in his care.
Kuiliola Heiau is said to have been used for navigation purposes. It is surrounded by ocean on three of it's four sides. Poka'i is named after a traveller from Kahiki that brought the coconut to this area. Some stones used at this heiau are said to have arrived from Tahiti. It was partially destroyed during WWII for use of a Pill Box on top of it. It has recently been partially restored in recent times. The makahiki festival uses this heiau at the start of the Waianae procession. Some legends about supernatural dogs exist about this heiau that have been mixed with good and evil deeds depending on the storyteller.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment