Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Maui! Part One

Day 1
 
So I spent the weekend on Maui with my fiance and her friend. All they wanted to do was pick fresh strawberries in Kula. All I wanted to do was ride a bike as far as I could within their schedule and then visit some historical areas. Maybe get a dip in the water as well.
 
The first day consisted of escaping the women after our stay in Kihei, and trekking Haleakala with a brand spanking new carbon Scott CR1 Team road bike I rented from Maui Cyclery in Paia with a Shimano 105 gruppo. Ed from Maui Cyclery loaded me up with great directions and nutrition for what they said was one of the best rides on the island. Then I was off from Hana Hwy to Baldwin Ave. On to Haleakala Hwy, Kekaulike Ave, back down Kula Ave and on to Ulupalakua to the winery to meet back up with the women. As destiny would have it, like the rest of the trip would turn out to be. I ran into the women at the strawberry patch because I took the wrong turn. We had fresh Maui produce as lunch together and they headed to the lavender farms. While I headed to the winery to relax until they arrived.


 





 
I love cannons!
Huge thanks to Ed and the crew at Maui Cyclery.
Day 2
I managed to jump back onto my rental in the morning after staying in Na pili. The women planned some farmers market visits nearby with the rental car. While I blasted toward Lahaina to visit as much historic places that I could in our limited amount of time on that side of the island during our last day in Maui.
Maui Ali'i and then the Kamehameha Dynasty had homes here up until the capitol was moved to Honolulu.
 
A reproduction of the south east corner of Kamehameha's Fort. Although actual stones from the original wall were used.
 
 Did I mention I love cannons?
 
The foundation of Kamehameha's home. The first brick and mortar structure in Hawaii at the time. 

Hauola Healing/Birthing Stone near the pier.

Across the street from the canoe landing and this reconstruction site near 505 Front St. is Malu Ulu Olele Park.
 
 
When I entered the parking lot I confirmed my search by asking a man if I was at the location of Moku'ula. Keeaumoku Kapu was standing outside of a gathering hall decorated with kanaka instruments, an 'uli'i, a small pohaku, fishing poles for what he told me was going to be an excuse for fishing with a group meeting later that day, and even a canoe sitting outside on the porch. He answered, "you're here." He must have noticed my excitement as he invited me in and gathered rolls of site maps from his office describing the past present and future aspects of the area.

In ancient times Moku'ula sat inside of Mokuhinia fishpond here where the park now stands. Fresh water still flows from the mountains and under the ground toward this area. Mr. Kapu pointed out the white layer on the dirt caused from salt water seeping up from the ground. If modern society disappeared today, nature would retake this land back into what it was millennia before early inhabitants of the pacific learned to harness its balance with their own.

The most sacred house site of Moku'ula stood about where the basketball court is now. Once housing Kamehameha's highest ranking wife Keōpuolani entombed in a Christian burial before being relocated to Waipio Church with her daughter Nahi'ena'ena.

The president of the group working toward restoring Moku'ula recently passed away and now things are kind of at a stand still.

 
 
 




Mr. Kapu showed me where the fresh water meets the ocean behind the 505 Fort St. property on a map and asked me to go take a look on the shore for myself. They have an underground parking lot that needs continuous pumping because of the water that is coming up from under the building where the inlet to the fishpond was located.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment