Thursday, March 26, 2015

Kauai O' Manokalanipo Part 3

Happy Prince Kuhio Day!
I wasn't planning on coordinating this update with today's state holiday. But this is my last set of pics from the second day of our Kauai trip. 
I wanted to visit the birth place and home of Jonah Kuhio Kalaniana'ole at Kukui'ula, Koloa. 
First because he was a super cool dude with an extraordinary life! Also because I always love seeing modern renditions of native Hawaiian gardens. Using stone, water source, and native or endemic fauna working harmoniously together. 
The sun was hammering down on us at midday so we just took a quick stroll around to see what we could see...
My favorite recollection of the many things Kalaniana'ole did in his lifetime. Was that he fought for the Hawaiian Homes Commission Act to be opened to Hawaiians with at least 1/32nd koko, blood. That would have meant that even Hawaiians generations later into the future would have had better access to land. Instead of what was set at, at least 1/2 blood. Which was the same across the board for all indigenous races on American seized lands.
One other thing that stood out to me is that he was a cyclist!
Here he is on the far left with one of the oldest and still going, cycling team called the Gamblers.
(image from wikimedia)
He was also into football and an excellent marksman, Which may have helped him while serving in the British Army during the Second Beor War in Africa! 
He even participated in the rebellion against the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawaii. He along with Wilcox and others were imprisoned and threatened with the death penalty. Some say that their lives were what was used as a bargaining chip for the Republic of Hawaii asking for Queen Liliuokalani's cooperation.
 After all Stanford Dole was originally from the Koloa legislature under King Kalakaua.
Enough about that as I am no expert in those troubling times. Although one day I would like to cover the topic of what happened during the rebellion...


Kalaniana'ole's home was very well constructed and the stones have the perfect combination of traditional rock stacking and modern aspects as well. With separate wings branching off of a larger complex.











This is the detached lua, restroom I think.



There are a few heiau of great importance in Koloa that are lost to history. 
Mauka of Kalaniana'ole's home is Ho'ai Heiau. It is covered in overgrowth and the walls of it definitely look more ancient than that of Prince Kuhio's house foundation.

Koloa is were the ancient hero named Palila was from. He may have realistically lived during the warring times of the Kona and Puna districts. Eventually travelling across the Hawaiian archipelago to Hawaii. While accomplishing marvelous deeds on each island on the way.




After grabbing a couple plate lunches from Koloa Fish Market. We did the touristy thing and went back towards Poipu to eat and take a dip in the waters of Kauai. I found some smooth shelled opihi on the front of a small lava rock island offshore at Poipu beach. But all I had to pick them with were some old laminated business cards in my wallet. They quickly got soggy after just picking one. I did savor it though.

While driving out I saw a huge complex of stone walls and modern made wood idols on stone ahu around the area. No one was around that looked like I could ask what it was but upon further research I found that it was an ancient village that was recently rediscovered and is being revived by the community.
Kaneiolouma has some very important people backing it and I hope that it strives and that I can return and possibly help in some way. I even saw a familiar face on their website. 
Keeaumoku Kapu, I met him in Lahaina at Moku'ula. It's pretty awesome that he has been reviving the sacred area of Moku'ula on Maui and now he comes here to support Kauai Kanaka with Kaneiolouma! 






I hope you enjoyed my trip as much as I did! There is so much mana in the island of Kauai. I hope to learn more and share more as I progress. I have learned some things that relate back to Oahu and I will study up and I'll be back! Aloha!



No comments:

Post a Comment