Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Ma'anei - Ma'o

On my last visit to the mo'olelo session last week in downtown. I learned a lot of new things about the area surrounding Iolani Palace. The people whom lived there in the old times and also those that were laid to rest in the area. When I arrived on my bicycle, the group was on a walking field trip and sitting down within the Iolani Palace ground. The topic was actually Pohukaina, and I was kind of discouraged about arriving late and missing most of it. I will study up on what I have learned about the are and share it with you once I have a better understanding. As the stories pass through me.
 
One that struck me was that Kaahumanu is said to have lifted the kapu on herself so that she could be closer to her people. She, along with Keōpūolani then abolished the Kapu system in total. Here in this very location...
 
Aside from the talk story session on Thursday night. I haven't been able to visit any Wahipana, or sacred places recently. I have been riding my bike very, very much in the recent days. I'm involved in a riding challenge on Strava hosted by Rapha, my favorite cycling gear. It's called Rapha Rising and it involves riding the same altitudes as the Tour De France cyclists are doing in the final week of the tour. I'm halfway through and will most likely succeed in the challenge. As I did last year.  
 
On my first lap from Papakolea up Tantalus Drive. I noticed this stone standing at the top of the gultch. Alongside the road. Overlooking Punchbowl Crater, Puowaina. Don't quote me on this but I'm inclined to think this is an ahupuaa marker...

No comments:

Post a Comment