Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Around the neighborhood

One day on my way home from work. I decided to do a little ride to inspect some new places I had read about near my home in Waimalu. The first was a hill dividing Aiea and Kalauao ahupua'a. There was a cave that contained a stone ahupuaa marker. In which a pig's body would be left, Ana kau pua'a . Like most ahupua'a other markers or ahu around the island in times of old. I remember hanging out at the home of the Manago's across the street and seeing these very large stones centered on the hill across the street. I'm unsure if this area was where Ana kau pua'a was...
I journeyed out and back into Kalauao on my way back home that day, and built up the courage to inspect the lo'i located behind Sumida Watercress Farm. My dad told me that the Lau family owned the area since his youth, and that he even swam in a pond in the area. Although later after I asked him about it again, he recalled it being somewhere near the townhouses are across Moanalua Rd. and not lower near the watercress field. When I first rolled into the property, I was still looking for the legendary bathing pool of Kukiiahu. Where the chiefess Kalaimanuia resided and where Kaeokalani of Kauai was said to have bathed prior to his death in battle with Kalanikupule. In the battle aslo named, Kukiiahu. Although, other separate engagements happened between the two in the surrounding ahupua'a...
 
I rolled right in and passed a sleeping guard dog. Trying to imagine the area as it were in the old days. This reservoir was at first suspected to me as a possible bathing pool but I disregarded the fact because of it's modern design. 
 
Further in, I saw three people tending to the lo'i. I waved and a man stopped his labor and came walking toward me. Mud from his feet to his knees and from his finger tips to his elbow. Just then I realized I had a flat tire and just dropped my bike to the ground and walked towards him. I told him about my blog and my interest in the area.Mr. Deluz is actually a resident of the Koolau area. I guess his expertise in working the land has afforded his family to be caretakers of the area. He told me this area is an ili of Kalauao named Kaonohi. The same name used for the street the leads up mauka in Kalauao. He told me he knew about the battle of Kukiiahu but was unfamiliar with the bathing pool. He suggested, as my father did later. That the bathing pool must have been higher up stream. I asked him then where is the water coming from? since the canal is dry above this area, and he replyed that many springs are located in the property and they all gush forth feeding the lo'i and the watercress field bellow. I've read somewhere that the water from my ahupuaa of Waimalu actually splits in the moutains and some leads off here underground. Mr. Deluz also showed to me the kalo known as Ka'i. A fragrant version of taro and he related it to eating jasmine rice, compared to normal rice. Ewa moku was known for it's Ka'i kalo and is was in high regard by the ali'i and kanaka of the island. In one's oli about being from ewa, they would surley include the Ka'i kalo in pride of their district.
 
Days later, a friend of mine planned a reunion of sorts. He is getting married this coming weekend. He and his brother haven't been riding with our cycling group for a few months now. I met up with the small group and we hung out at Rainbow Park. Just talking story and telling jokes. I had an urge to walk around the park since I've rarely gotten off of my bike when passing the area on the bike path.
 
This tree in the park stood at around the area where the Aiea and Halawa fishpods would have met. It was said that a large pohaku in the stone wall joining the two, was the ahupuaa marker of the two districts. Nothing remains of the fishponds or the ahupuaa marker. Since the military dismantled them to use the stone for construction projects in the military properties. 
 
 
Here are Vance, and Kainoa's track bikes. I hope I see them soon on them riding with us soon again...
<3 Congratulations Vance and Alexia! <3
 
 
 
This would have been the fishpond of Aiea in Honomanu Bay...
 

In the distance would have been the Halawa district's fishponds Loko Kamakupohaku, and Loko Kunana connected to the shore of Halawa and the small island, Kuahua. The small island now located just off shore near the admiral's boat house is a mere joke and nothing but a pile of cement covered by overgrowth. Kuahua Island was located under the mouth of the Halawa stream. Placing it's location at where the docks of the military now stands...

5 comments:

  1. Is this the lo'i between sumida farm and the monorail track at pearlridge? I've been trying to find more info on this place, wheather it's a working farm or if they do educational workshops, on kalo farming, pounding, cultural history, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha rchsin,
      Yes exactly, this is that very lo'i. I wouldn't encourage anyone just entering into it. Although, I did trade information with Mr. Deluz. He has mentioned hopes of having it be used ofr educational purposes. KSBE owns it and he would have to work through them though. I have asked him if I could return and he hopes that we can get together and share some knowledge. Contact my email and maybe we can go together.

      Delete
  2. Could the famous bathing pool be the one that used to be where Aiea Post office now stands? Or is it a different famous bathing pool? Just how many famous bathing pools were there??? =-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha Diane,
      Thank you for your interest in my blog and our history in general! They are definitely two separate bathing pools. As they are both recorded to have been located in their own respective ahupuaa. Aiea for the one your recall, and Kalauao for Kukiiahu. I still have yet to try to locate the remains of the one at the library. Hope all is well there as well as with the new location! Aloha!

      Delete
  3. Did u find that marker that u was talking about in the beginning. The one that marks kalauao in the cave in the hill? Kaonohipoi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete