Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Museum Tuesday!

Once again, I'm taking another route from the normal museum posts and posting about another friend of mine, Ralph Aiu. Ralph and I grew up in the same neighborhood and were even biking bmx around together in elementary school days. Just like how we do now, instead now we're on fixed gear bikes.
Ralph told me his family is descended from the old kahuna class of Hawaii. This morning he sent me these following images of stone work from his grandmothers home, Mrs. Mildred W. Aiu. He has allowed me to share these with you. Although we have no background behind them yet. I will try to follow up with him later to find out what stories he has to share. I joked with him about donating it to the museum like how Sam Kapu did back in the day. He laughed it off and replied abut how his grandmother wouldn't be too happy about that.
Ralph has been a inspiration to me. As we always talk about Hawaiian ways and seem to be on the same wave length most of the time. Compared to talking to someone who seems interested but just not coming from the same place you are mentally. Or some may even shy away from Hawaiian History. Even though they have Hawaiian blood. Instead opting to look forward into the future and not be held back by thoughts of the past.
Ralph once also let me borrow a book from his grandmother's library (forgot the name) that contained in depth information about the kahuna class. It even contained the Aiu family name in the line of kahuna that attributed to the making of the book. At the time, I was a little spooked out from just reading a few pages. My Christian upbringing unconsciously jumped in. While in the middle of reading such things as summoning a recently fallen comrade to fulfill a task for oneself with the right conditions. I closed the book, decided not to read anymore, and returned it.
Now I realize that I was being shallow minded and that taking in knowledge of Hawaiian History means taking in everything possible. From the days of darkness and on to the present. I admit, just like how Jordan explained to me last week. There's many in depth lessons on the old ways out there. Just some stuff you would choose to wait until your children were a little older to share with them...
 
 



1 comment:

  1. Love the carvings. Esoecially the ku'ula! I saw some cool pics of one found on Mokoli'i Island during the 70s-80s when they excavated Kualoa Park. Cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete