Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Museum Tuesday

Today, I'm going to take another route on the museum post. I was fortunate enough to run into my longtime friend Aea Kauaua, Jordan. Of all of the people around my age that seem to be pursuing a Hawaiian history renaissance. Like John Prime from 808 Urban, Ola from FITTED, and Jordan from True Story Textiles. Just to name a few. Jordan and I actually hung around the same circles since childhood.
Yesterday we had a spontaneous half an hour conversation at Don Quijote Kaheka. He told me he was a descendant of Edward Bailey, of the Bailey House Museum. Edward Bailey was a self taught artist and a great helper of the native community. Much like Jordan is in his life. Jordan also shared some chicken skin mo'olelo that he experienced in his life. While finding out new things about his own lineage he had a dream about his grandmother holding images painted by Edward Bailey. Before he knew anything about or even saw them...


 
Jordan suggested for me to visit the Bailey House Museum if I'm ever back on Maui. It's too bad I didn't know about it on my recent trip there. I have read somewhere that the property stands on a former residence of Kahekili in Iao Valley. Jordan also invited me to visit his home when I have the chance. Where he has a collection of Samuel Kamakau hard copies and some of the best Hawaiian history documents ever created!


No comments:

Post a Comment