Thursday, May 1, 2014

Kaheiki Heiau


(Image above of suspected Kaheiki Heiau site from the book Pana Oahu Sacred Stones, Sacred Land by Jan Becket and Joseph Singer)
I think I finally found Kaheiki Heiau here in lower Nuuanu. Just a few yards down stream from Kapena Falls. If you have been following my posts from the recent months, you know I've been trying to see it for myself for some time.
I finally took Jan Becket's advise about where he thinks it is. The last time I tried to get there I couldn't figure out a way down the slope of Pacific Heights at the foot of the pagoda lookout. One day I was riding my bike around Pauoa and asked a gentleman named Albert living out of his van. If he ever heard of the heiau. He came off pretty harsh at first but after realizing my interest in local lore. He simply described that I should go to Kapena falls and head down stream. There I should find what I was looking for...
(the first tier stone wall)
I parked at the Pali Hwy. Pagoda lookout as if I was heading to Kapena Falls, and I noticed an extra trail before reaching the guard rail section that leads to the falls. This trail is somewhat up kept because of the homeless living in tents beside the stream.

When I got down to the stream level I noticed two tiers of rock walls covered in overgrowth with a somewhat flat surface in between about 20'x50'. A couple of tents remained in shambles and rubbish littering the area. It is almost unbelievable that a heiau would be here. I am inclined to believed it is Kaheiki Heiau though. I have been up and down this stream and these walls of stone seem uniform to traditional Hawaiian structures. More than any other structure that could be found from Kapena Falls to Judd Street with uniform sized stones and such. I doubted it's close proximity to the stream at first so I thought that maybe the heiau was actually further up hill as others say. Although, this heiau site seems to be far enough above the highest water level and almost exactly where it should be when stories of the area are considered. It would take a lot of cleaning and clearing for any photos to convince anyone of it.  



The last mention of Kaheiki describes it as the location of the battle between Mo'i of Oahu Kahahana and Mo'i of Maui Kahekili II. There are though, older stories of it's forthcoming at the hands of the menehune. It was made for Kahanaiakeakua the Ali'i raised by the gods. Possibly related to Kawaluna Heiau in Waolani at the time of construction. 
Another story is that of Kaupe. Kaupe was a kupua that was in dog form. It troubled the people of Oahu and so a chief came to Kaheiki to ask for help from the kapuna of the heiau, Kahilona. Kahilona offered a prayer that could be said to protect oneself against the onslaught of Kaupe. Is it a coincidence that the dog images of the Nuuanu Petroglyphs are right on the other side of the stream and more located just below the heiau? 

(stone wall covered in overgrowth)

(within the suspected heiau walls is this leveled area)


Here is the second tier wall higher from the stream with some stones dislodged to make way for a trail. On either side the stacked stones continues in a straight wall leading a few more yards into the brush. 

So there it is, I will stop my hunt for Kaheiki here but I will try to return to do some cleaning and take better pics to share. Aloha!





3 comments:

  1. Aloha,
    I am a teacher at Pauoa Elementary and I was wondering if you get this comment if you would be willing to contact me via email. I am doing a Aloha 'Aina project and would love to talk to you about some of the history you found in this area.
    Mahalo Nui,
    Ramsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aloha Ramsey,

      My name is Matthew, I was born and raised in Pauoa and would love to learn about this site also!

      If you wouldnʻt mind sharing that would be of great interest to me.

      Mahalo,
      Matt

      Delete