Friday, September 6, 2013

Museum...Friday

I had the opportunity to attend the Onipa'a Celebration at Iolani Palace last weekend. Being able to soak up the culture with everyone there was inspiring. I reconnected with a couple of people that were influential to me when I first started asking questions about our history. I even got to see a reenactment of a meeting that took place during the time of the signing of the petition against annexation. 
One of the booths were showing off these beautiful examples of weapons used in the past by lua practitioners and warriors. Two gentlemen were manning the booth and one of them pointed out two special pieces made of the traditional wood favored by the ancient wood workers of the past... 
 
The piece on the right is made out of Kalia wood harvested from Hawaii island. I was assured that it was taken from a fallen tree that died through natural process. Kalia wood is almost impossible to acquire today. Imagine heiau in the past fully constructed of Kalia, like that of Kapukapuakea at Waialua...
 
 
This one is another la'au palau club.  Made of extremely hard and rare wood, Uhiuhi.
 
 
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment