Saturday, March 15, 2014

Pele's followers and Kupopolo Heiau

This past Wednesday I woke to see a text from my friend showing me someone's instagram pic of the Ke iki petroglyphs. I hopped into my car and blasted to the north side of the island.
Again I was too late as the sand had already covered them up again. So I decided to take a walk to Pele's Followers instead. They are located on the point between Sharks's Cove and Ke Iki Beach. Each stone has a name of people that were on the migration of Pele's family. 
I almost got myself into deep trouble when I attempted to take a picture from the most seaward stone. These seem to be lined up in a procession when viewed from the road. But when you're up close next to them. They are actually spread out around the point. Some of them are very large and some are the size of small cars. While I was standing on the closest to the edge. A large wave came crashing in and almost blasted me off of the rock. I emerged soaked but my phone was pretty dry in my pocket. I quickly made my way closer in from the point as another, yet larger wave crashed and washed up to my ankles.  I noticed a small piece of coral that looked like a human, so I took it...
...Pakaa, Kuapakaa, son of Pakaa, Hina Alualumoana, wife of Pakaa, Oopuhalako'a, Holoholoua, and Holoholomakani... -McAllister Arch. of Oahu









On the way back I decided to take better pics of Kupopolo Heiau. When I was walking in, another person was headed out from the heiau. He noticed me and began explaining why he was there. Daniel, lived in town and was visiting a friend on this side of the island so he decided to take a look at the heiau.  I asked him if he knew any mo'olelo of the area and he mentioned Kahahana. (Again, this heiau is supposed to have been constructed around the time of Kahahana's rule of Oahu. Used by his Kahuna Kaopulupulu until he was summoned and killed my Kahahana.) We introduced ourselves and gave each other the breath greeting, Ha and bit each other aloha. That was awesome.




Kupopolo has two clearly divided sections within it's terrace walls. The class surveying and maintaining the heiau are doing a great job by the way.

Most corners of the heiau are bounded by peculiar pohaku outside of the heiau walls. This one seems to have a face looking out towards the ocean...


...I thought it might appreciate a gift from the ocean. So I left that small piece of coral that I found at Pele's Followers on a it's concave top.


























Please be respectful if you  visit these places. Also keep an eye out on the waves. During those large swells! Aloha

1 comment:

  1. Every Saturday they have field school up there. If you're interested I can ask my co-worker if you can drop by for further insight. She helps run it and the girl who oversees the whole operation was actually doing the fieldtrip out there for SHA.

    N

    ReplyDelete