Tuesday, February 11, 2014

This Is What I Enjoy

Ola from FITTEDHI finally stumbled upon my blog while he was researching Kekuanohu for one of their hat releases. While leaving Olelo Hawaii class together, he told me my blog was honest. "This is what I like to do on my weekend, and now I'm going to share it with you," was how he described what I would say about presenting these topics.
This post is already two weeks old, but this is just what I did a couple of weekends ago...

I took a brisk ride around the neighborhood before dinner, still looking for evidence of Kaheiki Heiau or at least any evidence or "feeling" of the battle between Kahekili II and Kahahana. I pretty much cyclocrossed my bike over my shoulder and hiked from Kapena Falls to the back of Hawaii Baptist. Nothing yet...




...I did find this core sample which looks similar to those I found outside of the cave at the Makapuu tide pools...


My in-laws had my wife and I accompany them to an old friends house in Kalauao on Kihale St. I took a break from them and walked around the neighborhood. Up and over the bridge and into Kalauao Stream. Here was were the Battle of Kuki'iahu was fought and bodies choked the flow of the stream. 



Another morning coffee at Aiea Heiau, Keaiwa. I will continue to take sometime in the mornings here weekly. On this occasion I found this strange goo inside of a rock that I have no idea what it is...



On a later day I was surprised to get a message from my friend Kaleo. He asked me if I had a chance to see the petroglyphs at Ke iki Beach. As they are usually deep under the sand and only resurface once every decade during very large north swells. My instagram feed was blowing up with lucky beach goers taking pics of them. I decided to jump in my car and blast on over to see if I could catch them in time. I spent an hour looking for them and comparing the angle of the images I saw. I was too late...  

...The following two images are sights I saw while there...


The following images are screen shots (mahalo to the instagram users that shared these) of the petroglyphs that I was trying to get to before the sand quickly returned back to cover them until the next large swell... 





This winter seemed cold enough to allow the Sakura blossoms to bloom off of California Ave. in Wahiawa. We took the family and shared some "jdm" moments. 


After the cherry blossoms, my wife and I ditched the rest of the family so they could watch the superbowl. We instead went to the Freshwater park in Wahiawa and tried to enjoy Lake Wilson for what it is. In the pic you can try to spot out a decent sized trout in the center right. I signaled a couple of fishermen getting out of their truck. So they could attempt to catch it, although I did throw a twig at it just prior...


Finally I got to get into the ocean myself the next day at Yokohama Bay. The waves were firing....


On the way home we decided to stop off at Lahilahi so I could get some more images of the rest of the petroglyphs there. This first image below is the most peculiar and is relatively closer and easier to get to. You can make out a couple of humanoid features under what seems to be a star formation above them, represented by three dots. The rest of the images are hard to imagine as "ancient" although they seem to be the same type as those found at Olowalu on Maui. Or even those at Nuuanu near the cemetery...








So there it is. I enjoy this. My whole day is not totally full of just these moments I share with you. I am not doing research for any particular reason and I honestly want to know all I can and then revisit every historic site on Oahu. I you share the same interest then please accept this blog as a gift. Even better go out and see them for yourself! let me know what you find! Aloha!





No comments:

Post a Comment